• Home
  • Forum
  • Prospect Research Rating - do you have one?

Prospect Research Rating - do you have one?

• 7 Jun 2021 12:42 PM
    Message # 10601817
    Michele Tanzosch (Administrator)

Hi! We are working on creating a Prospect Research Rating that is applied after the researcher (me) confirms the wealth screening and reviews the constituent record for data (notes, actions, gifts, engagement score, etc.) 

Have you created one? Are you willing to share? How did you track it in your CRM? What are the "I wish I thought of that" moments you had after you started using  your rating? I am full of questions...

Thank you for your thoughts.

Michele Tanzosch
    Grinnell College

(edited) To give insight, we want to use this to decide whether to assign a constituent or not. We want it to be defined out yet know the subjectivity that can/will be involved. Currently, we have a spreadsheet with a yes/no/maybe column and want to progress it on and want to ensure we have thought of all the areas we should. Thank you again!

Last modified: 7 Jun 2021 1:04 PM | Michele Tanzosch (Administrator)
  • 11 Aug 2021 11:22 AM
    Reply # 10924920 on 10601817
    Deleted user

Hi Michelle! I do not assign prospects to a gift officer portfolio until the gift officer has conducted a Qualification call. I keep a secondary pool of prospects with a "Top Unmanaged Prospect" code (i.e. Prospect Research recommends this prospect be Qualified or Disqualified). Gift Officers are trained when they are trip planning to first review their assigned prospects and then fill in time with prospects from this secondary pool. After they conduct that initial visit they should answer two questions- does this prospect have the capacity to make a major gift and do they have the affinity to make that gift to our institution? If the answer to both is YES, they are assigned to their portfolio. If the answer to both is NO, the "Top Unmanaged Prospect" code is removed and a DQ is put into the system. If one answer is yes (i.e. They have the capacity but not the affinity) they remain in the Top Unmanaged pool for someone to follow-up later down the road. In my mind, a gift officer should be held accountable to all prospects in their assigned portfolio (i.e. have a plan in place to close a major gift within a set timeframe) and therefore, it doesn't make sense to have someone assigned that they do not know/don't know if they are qualified, etc. This seems to work well at smaller institutions where there are not multiple gift officers traveling to the same geo locations or covering the same colleges/units (depending on how your gift officers are deployed). Hope this helps!